Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Wazup up with eFax lately?

eFax is one of the very-very first "free" services that I remember coming across in my early days with the internet. So we are talking 10+ years.

It was always a paid and a free model. I signed-up for a free version and got a number. Who uses FAX these days anyway, you ask? I don't receive much but having school-aged kids, they receive homework and stuff from friends now and then...

So I guess this pre-Web 1.0 fixture must be having monitization issues because I have been getting some random emails from them in the last couple of months trying to get me to upgrade. First, it was "hey, your number is changing" GREAT! Its still customary to have a FAX number of business cards and I have used my eFAX number for years. Thanks eFAX! Today, it was an email saying I have received 45 pages in the last 90 days and that I am violating my service agreement.

First, I understand a company has to monitize but is this the best way to go around it with a 10+ year user? Second, in this day and age of VOIP and ad models, isn't there some other ways that eFAX can monitize?

I think I am going to look for an alternative service or just stop including a FAX number in my coordinates. As for the kids, we have an traditional FAX number attached to the phone line, they can start to use that...

UPDATE: I got (yet) another email from eFAX today that I violated their terms of use, yadi yada. This time, I called the sales number in the email (oy vey!). After some classical music, some perky lady answered and after asking for my eFax number she kept reminding me that they have NO infomration about my account (because its free). So then why am I getting these notices? She had no idea. Bottom line: wait until June 25, your old number will expire and we will issue a new one. Ha? That's it? thats it... According to her, they are trying to recover number because they are short (443 area codes? hm, ok). To me, this is just bully-spam to get people to upgrade. Shame on eFAX.

1 comment:

Gaines said...

We operate a review site for internet fax services and get similar comments about eFax on a regular basis. To add insult to injury, paying customers of eFax pay about 70% more for the same or less services than they would get with another provider. We do think that internet fax services are a superior alternative to maintaining a fax machine and a dedicated fax line and there are plenty of alternative providers to eFax that have consistently high customer satisfaction. Check our site, www.FaxCompare.com to read reviews and view our comparison grid.