Thursday, January 24, 2008

A Microsoft Moment sans Office & Outlook

I was at a meeting over lunch yesterday when one of my Vaio laptops started acting-up; I'd turn it on, Windows (XP) would boot-up I'd login and after a minute or two the blue screen of death would flash and the laptop would reboot. This happened about 5-6 times - different boot options didn't seem to make a difference - I was having a "Microsoft Moment" (MM).

This seems to happen about once every 6 months that you have to take time off, drop what you're doing, and pay homage to the gods of software and fix the problem... Normally, a MM is enough to ruin your day - you don't know if your documents and email are safe (you think to yourself "am i ever going to see my email ever again?" or "my god - all that STUFF that I can't live without"). And of course, you could/should have backed-up the stuff but...

Luckily this time around, I am no longer using Office nor Outlook - I made the transition a couple of months ago and I haven't looked back. Also this time around, the stress was much lower: my stuff and majority of my documents are on gmail and Google docs respectively. Saved!

I remembered that this kind of crash had happened on this laptop about a year ago and the solution then was to reinstall from the factory CD and wipe everything out. So not only was my stress level much less but when it came down to doing a clean-install, the whole process took about 1/3 as long since there was so much less to copy off and copy back on (at last check, my Outlook file was about 10GB).

So! A Microsoft Moment made much less stressful and painful not having Outlook and Office to deal with. Next stop? Back to an Apple Powerbook not to deal with Windows at all.

No comments: